Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cartoons for the Baltimore Sun (2010)

I produced several cartoons for the Baltimore Sun, seven of which were published.
I've included others that I submitted but weren't published.

This first cartoon pokes fun at some of PG County's finest - the politicians and the rats who love them, or maybe I have that backwards. Anyway the corruption among PG pols is almost as egregious as the excessive violence among the county's cops, "BANG! You have the right to remain...oops. Never mind."

 




All those years of religious school must have done some good. I just love playing off a good Biblical story to help bring a little perspective (as well as love and respect) for our current day's politicos.




Running a close second to Biblical allegory is my fondness for putting old show tunes to good use to poke fun at political silliness. I think it was my early exposure to all of those Mel Brooks movies during the 70s and 80s as a young kid. How can you expect to take your 7-year old son to Blazing Saddles and not have him come out warped for life? Thanks Mom and Dad. Anyway, looks like we'll have to wait 'til next year for the Gov to push through the same sex marriage bill.

 

G-d forbid we raise a little coin, build some schools and repair a few potholes. In the process, if we're lucky, we might even help folks moderate their consumption of alcohoic beverages. What? Oh, I get it. Can't consider it. Profits over people. Heck, profits over everything.  



Oh, I loved doing this cartoon. The only thing I didn't do was put the GOP elephant in a mini skirt, high heels and a Tina Turner wig. Michael Steele - where are you now?





Maryland Senate President Miller, self-appointed tough guy and executioner. I wish I could be so confident in myself to support a mockery of due process and the institutionalization of human rights violations. I wonder what he injects into himself so that he can sleep at night.



Old TV shows provide great fodder for cartoons - I'll put it at #3 behind biblical stories and broadway musical showtunes. Couldn't resist the Holy Grail reference in this one. Saw that one at age 7, too. Man, I was warped and proud to be still. Bring out your dead!



This cartoon is very, very local. It turns out that Walmart will NOT be building a new small business-killing mega store in the Remington neighborhood. We'll still get the new Lowes, and all of us in my neighborhood are crossing our fingers that it doesn't kill our local Ace Hardware store.





This cartoon was probably my best with the Sun. Since its publication Denise Whiting has since dropped her efforts to trademark "Hon," even going so far as announcing her decision while tearfully submitting her establishment, the Hon Cafe, to Chef Gordon Ramsey's scrutiny. News flash, Denise: you're still a "Bloody stupid (bleep)in' cow."





This cartoon was never going to see the light of day at the Sun, but I had to do it anyway. Like MLK told us from the Birmingham jail, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."


No comments:

Post a Comment